Wednesday, June 29, 2011

LPG CONVERSIONS - REWIEW 6




Advantages: Cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap . . .

Disadvantages: Availability in some areas

Recommendable Yes:

I have a 1999 Hyuindai coupe 2.0 SE which I had converted to LPG around two years ago. The coupe was not particularly thirsty petrol wise, however as I did around 20,000 miles a year I decided that converting to LPG would save me a considerable sum of money.

The LPG tank is a 65 litre 'doughnut' shaped tank which fits snugly into the spare wheel housing underneath the boot carpet, and therefore does not take up any boot space. I don't carry a spare wheel anymore, instead I carry a can of Tyre Weld. Tyre Weld is a aerosol that in the event of a puncture, you screw it onto your tyre valve, invert the can, and spray it. It seals and inflates your tyre without the need for jacks or compressors, and takes seconds. Anyway, back to LPG...

I often get asked whether LPG improves my car's fuel economy. The answer is no. In fact, car's that have been converted to run on LPG actually have slightly worse fuel economy when compared to petrol. However, when you consider that LPG is roughly half the price of petrol, the savings more than make up.

My coupe still has a petrol tank, making it duel fuel. In fact, it always starts up on petrol. To switch to gas, you ensure that the switch on the dash is set to gas, then blip the throttle above 2000 RPM. The system will automatically shut off the petrol and begin feeding gas. Unlike the old systems, you do not have to wait for the engine to heat up before switching accross.

In terms of driving the car, it is true that the power of the car when running on LPG, is slightly reduced. However, unless you are the type of driver who likes racing around town all night, trying to out accelerate everyone in your one litre Nova, you won't notice the difference.

The main difference that you will notice, is on your bank balance. LPG will save you roughly 45% over petrol. The initial cost of conversion can range from £750 to £2000 depending on the type of car, and size of tank. Government grants are available for some new cars, details available on www.powershift.uk.org however be aware that you have to apply for a grant BEFORE you buy the car. For company car drivers, in order to reduce the tax that you pay, buy a production duel fuel car. Daewoo, Volvo, Vauxhall and I think Citroen currently make them. More to follow I hope.

Most people probably haven't noticed the large number of LPG pumps springing up in their local area. The availability of LPG is improving every day. Shell and BP have LPG pumps on many of their forecourts, and I believe that Sainsbury's intend to install LPG pumps at all of their petrol stations. In addition to this, there are many other outlets at places such as farm shops, gas suppliers and small independant garages (often where they convert cars as well). A full list of LPG outlets is available at www.autogas.co.uk.

Safety wise, LPG is not a problem. The tanks are rigorously tested, and are far less likely to rupture than a petrol tank. In the event of a fire, the tank is unlikely to explode, instead the gas will vent and burn, well before the pressure builds up to an extent where the tank will rupture.

I am going to sell my coupe soon as I am getting a company car. Will it be dual fuel? Definitely. I have absolutely no intention of ever running a petrol car again.

I hope this little report is useful, and if you have any questions on this subject, please feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment